The Fiscal Year 2017 DHS Headquarters Mentoring Program is now accepting mentee and mentor applications through November 10. This nine-month program matches DHS Headquarters mentees (GS-14 and below) with mentors (GS-12 through Senior Executive Service) across all occupational functions.
Mentoring relationships benefit the employee as well as the employer and mentor. Program goals include:
· Broadening the employee’s understanding of the DHS mission
· Offering one-on-one career guidance for the mentee and a unique opportunity for the mentor to positively impact an emerging leader’s career
· Helping the employee build a career roadmap, individually tailored to meet specific professional goals
· Expanding the employee’s knowledge, skills, and abilities through targeted professional training
· Providing the employee with an opportunity for increased visibility throughout DHS
DHS selects and pairs mentors and mentees based on a matching form, application, and assessment to ensure that participants achieve maximum results from the program. Potential mentors and mentees may apply by following the instructions below:
1. Visit http://dhsmentoring.dhs.gov.
2. Click on the “Not a Member Yet?” link and enter the Group ID: DHSHQ, and then click Submit.
3. Select your Role: Mentor or Mentee.
4. Complete your User Profile and click “Continue.”
5. Complete your Application Form and click “I’m Done.”
6. Your supervisor will automatically receive an email requesting his/her endorsement, a requirement for participation.
To log back in after creating an account:
1. Go to http://dhsmentoring.dhs.gov.
2. Enter your User ID and Password (you created).
Mentors can gain personal satisfaction of giving back to DHS by sharing their experience and knowledge with others. Participating as a mentor also meets the 12-hour giveback requirement of the Cornerstone Program for supervisors and managers.
For more information or questions regarding the program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Cheryl Harley at (202) 357-8216.